Find members across files and libraries
This AS400 utility lets you search for file-members across files and libraries, a feature that OS400 does not support. It is possible to search for specific names but generic searches following the OS400 generic rules are also supported. Members found in a search can either be printed or displayed in a subfile (see screen-shot below). If displayed in a subfile, a number of operations can be performed on them.
It is meant to be a productivity-booster for AS400 programmers, but it is also a low-cost alternative to assist in change-management.
Although the primary intention is to help you manage your source-files, the utility also supports searching through physical file-members and most operations on physical file-members are supported too.
The screenshot below is the result of this search: Find all members in all files that start with the name EDI through all libraries in the current library-list. As you can see, you get the search-results in a subfile. The subfile can either be sorted by member, file and library, or by library, file and member.
Retrieved members can be edited, copied, displayed, printed (source-files only), deleted, renamed, or compared using IBM's CMPPFM command.
On top of that, you can search for a string of characters across all retrieved members, and have a specified operation performed on the members in which the search-text is found.
The program can be downloaded as shareware. As such, it is fully functional. If you decide to use it continually, you should register it. Registration can be done online. There are some additional benefits when you register (see below). The price of the registered version is US$ 70/€ 59.
- Ever spent hours coding a call to an API and now you should do it again? Now where is the program with that code? FNDMBR will help you find it quickly.
- The object references a source-member and source-file that does not exist. You can search across the entire system to find a particular source-file. And as such a search can take time, you can submit it to batch.
- Find duplicate members, files, even libraries quickly. This can be valuable when you have to do a cleanup and free system resources.
Benefits of Registration
- The shareware will bring up a "nag"-screen every time when you use the utility. This will go away once you have entered your license-number. This is more than just an inconvenience. FNDMBR is a command. Without the "nag"-screen, you can include the command in your CL-programs, and submit to batch.
- We will e-mail you our PR (prototype)-members in RPG-format. This allows your programs to call the service-procedures and functions of FNDMBR, incorporating the functionality of the utility in your own systems. FNDMBR has been written 100% in ILE.
- OS400-version V4R5M0 or higher.
- TCP-IP connection from your PC to the AS400 to upload the save-file
- Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the user-guide that includes setup-instructions, help and explains the benefits of registration. Acrobat Reader can be downloaded free of charge at the However, the user-guide is also available